Advisory Board Constitution
University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls
Article I - Name
The name of this organization shall be the J.W. Maucker University Union.
Article II - Purpose
The purpose of the J.W. Maucker University Union shall be to assist in the development of a broad social, recreational, cultural and informal education program, using the facilities, services and resources of the Union to serve the best interest of the students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the University.
Further, the Union is to serve as a unifying force on the campus to enable various groups and individuals to work together for the enhancement of the broad education goals of the University of Northern Iowa.
Article III - Membership
Membership in the J.W. Maucker University Union shall consist of all members of the student body, the faculty, staff, alumni and guests of the University.
Article IV - Union Advisory Board and its authority
1. The Union Advisory Board of the University of Northern Iowa is responsible to the President of the University. The responsibility is channeled through the Vice President of Student Affairs and the Director of the Union.
2. The Union Advisory Board shall recommend policies and regulations for the operation of the Union, the use of Union facilities and shall support Union programming efforts.
3. It shall review fiscal matters of the Union and make recommendations pertaining to fiscal matters.
4. The Union Advisory Board may appoint committees as deemed necessary by the Board.
5. It shall advise the Director of the Union about the daily operation of the building.
6. The Union Advisory Board shall hear requests for exceptions to or suspension of Maucker Union policies and procedures as referred to the Board by the Director of Maucker Union, granting or denying such requests.
7. Nothing contained in this constitution shall limit in any way the ultimate and final authority and control of the President of the University over the Maucker Union.
Article V - Meetings and Quorum
1. The Union Advisory Board shall meet at least once a month during the regular academic year.
2. All meetings shall be open to students, faculty, staff and alumni.
3. Robert's Rules of Order, Revised shall govern at all meetings.
4. Fifty percent of the Board's membership shall constitute a quorum.
5. Each Board member is entitled to one vote in person or by written proxy.
6. The power to call special meetings shall reside with the Director of the Union, subject to approval of the President of the Union Advisory Board, or the majority of the Board members.
7. Any member missing two (2) consecutive or three (3) non-consecutive meetings during the semester will receive a notice of dismissal from the Board. The Secretary will send the notice. Any appeal of the dismissal must be submitted to the Secretary in written form and it shall require a majority vote to reverse the dismissal. Anyone desiring an excused absence must contact the Secretary in advance at which time a decision will be made as to its validity. In the case of a question on the validity of the excuse, the Board will decide the questions by majority vote.
Article VI - Members and Officers of Advisory Board
1. The Union Advisory Board shall be constituted as follows:
1. Two of the twelve students on the Board shall be chosen through the search, application, interview and selection process by the Union Advisory Board.
2. Six of the twelve students on the Board shall be appointed by and represent constituent groups (one each) working in partnership with Maucker Union, namely: Center for Multicultural Education, International Services, Campus Activities Board (CAB), the Northern Iowan newspaper, KULT student radio station, and Department of Residence, Dining Services. One additional student shall serve as a general representative of all student employees and partnering areas.
3. Three additional members on the Board shall be appointed by N.I.S.G.
4. All appointments should be made by September 15 with all terms beginning October 1 and concluding at the appropriate September 30. In the event that positions on the Board remain open after September 15, the Board may continue making appointments until all positions are filled.
5. The immediate past president shall have a voting membership on the Board during the Spring semester following the completion of the presidential term.
6. Upon mutual agreement between student members and the Board, student members may elect to remain on the Board for consecutive terms throughout their student career.
1. The Director of the Union/Secretary of the Union Advisory Board will have ex-officio status.
2. A member of Maucker Union Operations staff and a member of Student Activities Staff (2) will be non-student members.
3. The Vice President for Student Affairs shall appoint two (2) Representatives which may be either staff of the Division of Student Affairs and/or faculty by October of each year. The term is for one year from October 1 to September 30.
4. While they may serve several terms on the Board, non-student members of the Board may not be appointed to more than three consecutive terms.
5. A vacancy shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term by the body originally responsible for the selection of the member whose seat has been vacated. This procedure shall be completed within one month's time after the Board announces said vacancy.
a. The officers elected shall be student members of the Board, namely: the President and Vice-President.
b. The Board shall elect officers during the first regular meeting of October.
c. The Director of the Union shall serve as Secretary to the Board.
Article VII - Amendments
This Constitution may be amended by a majority vote after two successive readings have been given to the proposed amendment at regular meetings of the Board.
Adopted by Union Policy Board, October 15, 1969
Approved by Office of the President, July 7, 1970
Article V #4, #7 - Amended 2/5/74
Article IV #2 Amended 2/11/75
Article VI #1 Amended 2/11/75
Article V #7 Amended 2/5/80
Article V #1 Amended 11/12/82
Article VI #2 Amended 11/22/82
Article VI #3b Amended 11/22/82
Article VI #1 & #2 Amended 4/30/84
Article VI #1 Amended 12/11/84
Article VI #1A & #1B Amended 10/7/86
Article VI #1A (Section 1 & 3) Amended 11/1/88
Article VI #1B (Section 1,2,4, & 5) Amended 11/1/88
Article VI #1B (Section 2) Amended 10/9/90
Article VI #1A (Section 3) Amended 1/29/91
Article IV #1 Amended 12/8/98
Article VI #1A (Section 3 and 4) Amended 12/8/98
Article VI #1B (Section 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8b) Amended 12/8/98
Article IV #2 Amended 03/27/02
Article VI #1A (Section 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) Amended 03/27/02
Article VI #1B (Section 1, 2, 3, and 4) Amended 03/27/02
Article IV (Section 1, 2, 4) Amended 10/27/08
Article V (Section 1, 6, 7) Amended 10/27/08
Article VI (Section 1, 1A1, 1A3, 1A4, 1A6, 1B1, 1B3, 1B4, 1B5, 1B6a, 1B6c) Amended 10/27/08
Article IV (Section 6,7), Article VI Section 1A1, 1A2) Amended 09/10/2012