This is the most common way to join a Panhellenic organization. Held each fall during the first weeks of classes, Potential New Members will have the opportunity to get to know each Panhellenic organization at UNI. If you are interested in joining a sorority, we recommend that you participate in Sorority Primary Recruitment, as many chapters will reach their capacity during this process.
Recruitment is a series of events over fours days, coordinated by the Panhellenic Council Recruitment Team, where the chapters get to know you, and you get to know the women of each chapter. Sorority Primary Recruitment is a mutual selection process that is filled with activities designed to offer prospective members the chance to learn about the Panhellenic sororities in a concentrated period of time. It is an opportunity for students to meet the sorority members, ask questions, and define financial obligations, time commitments, and membership requirements. Whether or not you decide to join a Panhellenic sorority, recruitment is a great way to meet people and get acquainted with life at UNI.
Are you ready to join? Register now!
Still want to learn more? Check out the Sorority FAQ page or go over to TheSororityLife.com.
Check out the Primary Recruitment schedule and tips for recruitment below, and click here for further registration information!
Primary Recruitment Schedule
Primary Recruitment will begin on Wednesday, September 9, and concludes on Sunday, September 13, 2020. The full schedule is below, along with additional optional events.
You must REGISTER for Primary Recruitment. Registration closes Tuesday, September 8 at 12:00pm.
Optional Pre-Recruitment Events (In-Person):
Meet & Greet Events
These events are an opportunity for you to learn more about what it means to be a member in a sorority and what the process looks like to join. You can meet the Recruitment Team, the Rho Gammas and other students considering joining too! Social distancing guidelines will be followed and masks must be worn for these in-person events.
- Yoga with Active Minds & Sorority Life
- Wednesday, August 19, from 4:30-5:15pm
- Lawther Field (in-person) - Rain location: Maucker Union University Room
- Bring a towel or mat!
- Want to attend virtually? Register to receive the Zoom information at bit.ly/yogaatuni
- Sundaes & Sororities
- Thursday, August 27, between 6:00-9:00pm
- Maucker Union Rooftop Plaza (in-person) - Rain location: Maucker Union University Room
- Sorority Life Donut Social
- Tuesday, September 1, between 12:00-3:00pm
- Maucker Union Rooftop Plaza (in-person) - Rain location: Maucker Union Hemisphere Lounge (Behind Chats)
- Bowls of Love Food Truck with Sorority Life
- Friday, September 4, between 3:00-6:00pm
- 2410 College Street (in-person)
Recruitment Group Activities
Recruitment Groups are randomly assigned small groups of women who have registered for recruitment. Once classes begin, you can expect to get to know women going through recruitment within your group! Your Recruitment Guide will coordinate in-person activities with your Recruitment Group prior to the start of recruitment.
Required Primary Recruitment Events:
*In order to fully maximize your options, you must plan to attend all of these events. You will be provided with a schedule for each round, and your Recruitment Guide, or Rho Gamma, will be in contact with you about more exact start times for each round. The Recruitment Team must be contacted prior to scheduled events if you are not participating or if your schedule needs to be adjusted. Failure to do so may result in your dismissal from the Primary Recruitment Process.
- Potential New Member Orientation: Monday, August 17, through Tuesday, September 8, Blackboard
- Potential new members will have access to a few different resources that go through what to expect, introduce you to Panhellenic and the recruitment guides, explain the process, and more! These Blackboard modules should take no more than one hour.
- Virtual Open House: Monday, August 17, through Tuesday, September 8, Blackboard
- Each Potential New Member will view chapter videos and modules through Blackboard, where you will be introduced to all six sororities. These videos will be no longer than 5 minutes long, and the entire unit should take no more than 30 minutes.
- Recruitment Group Meeting: Monday, September 7 at 7:30pm, Zoom Conference Call, OR Tuesday, September 8 at 7:30pm, Zoom Conference Call
- This evening meeting will allow you to virtually meet in your Recruitment Guide and Recruitment Group to discuss the week of recruitment, ensure accessibility to appropriate technology, get to know other potential new members, and ask any final questions before recruitment.
- Round 1A - Meet the Chapters (Group A): Wednesday, September 9 at 3:00pm, Zoom Conference Call
Round 1B - Meet the Chapters (Group B): Thursday, September 10 at 3:00pm, Zoom Conference Call
- This is your first opportunity to personally interact with the members of the Panhellenic sororities. You will visit all 6 of the sororities on one of the two days through Zoom conference calls. Your conversations will be with current members and focus on topic such as your high school involvement, summer activities and what you want to get out of a sorority and your UNI experience.
- Please plan on being available between 3:00pm to 9:30pm on either Wednesday or Thursday. You will attend all 6 events, which last 30 minutes each. There will be 15 minutes allotted for a break between each event and there will be an hour break for dinner at 6:00pm.
- What to wear: Nice top or Sorority Life shirt. Since virtual recruitment will primarily occur over Zoom, we encourage you to look presentable in the area in which can be seen on your camera.
|Round 1A - Wednesday, September 9
Round 1B - Thursday, September 10
|Check-In/Recruitment Group Meeting - 3:00-4:00pm|
|Event 1 - 4:00-4:30pm|
|Event 2 - 4:45-5:15pm|
|BREAK - 1 hour|
|Event 3 - 6:15-6:45pm|
|Event 4 - 7:00-7:30pm|
|BREAK - 30 minutes|
|Event 5 - 8:00-8:30pm|
|Event 6 - 8:45-9:15pm|
|Recruitment Group Meeting - 9:15pm|
|Optional event - 9:30-10:00pm
*Only available if technology issues arise
- Round 2 - Philanthropy & Service: Friday, September 11 at 3:30pm, Zoom Conference Call
- You will receive a schedule inviting you to up to 4 events for the day. During this round, you will learn more about how the sororities give back to the community. Chapters will give brief presentations about the philanthropic organization they support, the events they plan to raise money and awareness, and service projects they complete.
- Please plan on being available between 3:30pm to 10:30pm. You may attend up to 4 events, which last 40 minutes each. There will be 15 minutes allotted for a break between each event. Your schedule will depend on which chapters you will be visiting for Philanthropy & Service Round.
- What to wear: Nice top or Sorority Life shirt.
|Round 2 - Friday, September 11|
|Check-In/Recruitment Group Meeting - 3:30-4:00pm|
|Event 1 - 4:00-4:40pm|
|Event 2 - 4:55-5:35pm|
|Event 3 - 5:50-6:30pm|
|Event 4 - 6:45-7:25pm|
|Event 5 - 7:40-8:20pm|
|Event 6 - 8:35-9:15pm|
|Event 7 - 9:30-10:10pm|
|Optional event - 10:25-11:05pm
*Only available if technology issues arise
- Round 3 - Preference: Saturday, September 12 at 1:30pm, Zoom Conference Call
- You will receive a schedule inviting you to 1 or 2 events for the day. During this round, you will talk more in-depth with members about their sorority experience and why their chapter is important to them. You will take part in a special ceremony that is unique to each chapter. Some women may be emotional during this round as they share the bonds of sisterhood they have formed with women in their chapter.
- Please plan on being available between 1:30pm to 9:00pm. You may attend 1 or 2 events, which last 55 minutes each. There will be 15 minutes allotted for a break between each event. Your schedule will depend on which chapters you will be visiting for Preference Round.
- What to wear: Nice blouse or dress. We encourage you to dress a nicer this day since you will be participating in the chapter's preference ceremony.
|Round 3 - Saturday, September 12|
|Check-In/Recruitment Group Meeting - 1:30-2:00pm|
|Event 1 - 2:00-2:55pm|
|Event 2 - 3:10-4:05pm|
|Event 3 - 4:20-5:15pm|
|Event 4 - 5:30-6:25pm|
|Event 5 - 6:40-7:35pm|
|Event 6 - 7:50-8:45pm|
- Bid Day: Sunday, September 13 at 10:30am, Outdoor space on campus (in-person)
- After opening their bids in an outdoor space on campus, new members will then be escorted to meet their chapter at a designated space on campus. New members will then go to afternoon events with their new sorority, including lunch, snacks, and activities. In the later evening, chapters may require participation in new member and all-chapter meetings. Following the end of these events, new members will return to their place of residence for the night.
- Please plan on being available between 10:30am to ~2:00pm. Most likely, you may also take part in your first chapter meeting this same evening, which is typically around 7:00pm.
- What to wear: Casual, Jeans/shorts/skirt and a t-shirt. *You will be given a Bid Day shirt so you may want to wear a tank top underneath.
Recruitment Tips to Remember:
- Recruitment is a busy time! Please remember to take time for yourself during this process.
- It might be easy to get the six chapters confused, so jot down some notes on the pages provided in your Recruitment Guide Book to help organize your thoughts.
- Your Rho Gamma is ALWAYS here for you and wants to make sure you have the best experience possible. She welcomes any questions and concerns you may have about the recruitment process and being Greek. Feel free to talk to her at any time if you need (or want) her advice.
- Approach recruitment with a positive attitude! Each chapter wants to get to know you as much as you want to get to know them. Just remember to be yourself!
- Keep an open mind when you are visiting the chapters. This will give you the opportunity to look objectively at each chapter and what it has to offer.
- Make the decision that is right for you! It is easy to listen to friends, relatives, or other recruitment guests; however, their opinion is just that, an opinion. Recruitment is a time for you to explore each chapter and make the decision as to which chapter fits YOU best. Choose the sorority that you feel most comfortable with, one that can meet your needs, and one to which you could most actively contribute.
- Have FUN and take this time to meet new people!
Tips for Virtual Recruitment
The following tips and much more can be found at TheSororityLife.com.
“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” – Coco Chanel
You are coming into college and the world is your oyster. During this virtual recruitment, you are going to meet many people and learn a lot about others and yourself. It is important before the first virtual meeting that you do some self-reflection, ask yourself who am I and what do I want out of my sorority experience. Write both of those questions and answers down on a sticky note that you can stare at before each sorority meeting or interaction. This will keep you grounded during your sorority recruitment experience.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
You are beautiful, unique and special; a sorority should only add to that. Being authentic will help you feel a connection in the right chapter. Remember, you want a place where you can be your best – and worst – self and still be loved. The chapter wants to provide you that as well. If you, as a potential member and the chapter are authentic, then you will know when you find the right chapter.
“There’s no place like home.” – Dorothy, “The Wizard of Oz”
A chapter should feel like home, but home is not a place; it is a feeling of safety and support. It is where you can learn and grow and where you have a family, so follow your gut. Where did you feel connections? Where do your values line up with the others you met? Where do you feel accepted, understood and wanted? Chances are the chapter where you feel those connections, is where you will thrive and grow as a person.
“You see how picky I am about my shoes, and those only go on my feet.” – Cher, “Clueless”
Remember, there is nothing wrong with having personal opinions and thoughts of what is important to you in your sorority experience. These thoughts and feelings are your own. Do not let others’ thoughts, values or expectations alter what is important to you. And do not let your needs and wants influence what other potential members around you are thinking. During recruitment, you hear a lot about not talking to others about your thoughts on all the chapters on campus. This is because no one wants to sway you into a lifelong decision that you end up not making for yourself. You choose your happiness, so ultimately you should choose your chapter!
“Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.” – Dory, “Finding Nemo”
Remember that this might be a bit overwhelming for you. To keep track of your experiences with each chapter, take notes. Start a reflection journal where you write what you want in your sorority experience but also your thoughts and feelings after each chapter you meet. This way, you can look back and reflect before each selection. Also, use your resources like recruitment counselors if you are feeling overwhelmed. Although you may not be able to talk chapter specifics with your recruitment counselor, you can decompress by checking in. Give yourself the grace to breathe and feel this process. Everyone is going to have a different and unique experience, and each experience is correct because it’s your journey.
Lastly, remember that the sorority experience is about finding community, gaining friends and mentors that will walk beside you both in college and the future. Though the process itself may be new, in the wise words of Carrie Bradshaw, “They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go. But friendships never go out of style.”